Livorno Limousine Service - Car rental with driver
private tours and transfers from Livorno cruise terminal
For cruisers which stop in Livorno ( Leghorn ) , we can provide special personalized private tours all around the Tuscany region:
PRIVATE TOURS FROM LIVORNO CRUISE TERMINAL
Florence and Pisa
Pisa and Lucca
Lucca and Carrara
Florence and Chianti Region
San Gimignano and Siena
The commercial harbor of Livorno, sometimes known in English as Leghorn, is now the largest in Tuscany and one of the main ports on the Mediterranean, shipping mainly wood, Florentine craftwork, marbie, rough-cut or crafted alabaster and cars. There are a number of heavy industŕes nearby. The locai fishing trade has given rise to two culinary speciaiities: fish soup (cacciucco) and red muliet (triglie) Livorno styie.
ACCADEMIA NAVALE OF LIVORNO
Founded in 1881 by Benedetto Brin, general of the navy, the Naval Academy combined the precedent academies of Genoa and Naples. Headquarters are in the palace built in 1878 on the remains of the old Lazzaretto di San Jacopo. The scope of the Academy is that of preparing the young officers who attend it for the Navy. Inside the building is the large monument presented by Austria in 1866 in memory of the famous naval battle of Lissa.
In the northwest of the town near the harbor, between the Old Fortress (Fortezza Vecchia) and the New Fortress (Fortezza Nuova), lies the New Venice district (Venezia Nuova), founded in 1629 by the Medici. Its main features are its canals, bridges and narrow lanes.
The hub of city life in Livorno centers on Via Grande lined with arcaded buildings, Via Cairoli and Via Ricasoli. This elegant district lies next to the grounds of the Villa Fabbricotti. The city can be reached by the A 12 Genova - Livorno major road, the A 11 Florence - sea coast major road or the motorway (suoerstrada Firenze - Livorno).
A jetty was built here in 1571 by Cosimo 1° and in 1573 he ordered a canal to be dug to link Livorno to Pisa. In the early 17C the town was protected by a bastioned wall, still visible today and in 1620, during the region of Cosimo 2°, building work was completed on the port ( porto mediceo ).