The building overlooking Piazza del Popolo was built in the 13C. It is flanked by a
14C-15C arcaded loggia and surmounted by a tall belfry.
Piazza Garibaldi, behind the town hall. The church has a nave with wooden rafters and is divided by three arches. Near the entrance is a large gilded wooden tabernacle dating from the 16C.
The Civic and Diocesan Museum contains not only a number of prehistoric and Etruscan remains and a collection of ceramic ware from Montalcino (13C-18C) but also paintings and polychrome wooden statues by the Sienese School (14C-15C) and a two-volume Bible and a Crucifix, both dating from the 12C, from the nearby abbey of Sant'Antimo.
The hillside town of Montalcino still has part of its 13C walls and its fortress (rocca) built in 1361. it was ruled by Siena for several centuries and served as a refuge for the members of the government of the Republic of Siena when their town was captured by Charles V in 1555.
Each autumn during the Thrush Festival (Sagra del Tordo) the four districts of the medieval town recall the past with a procession in period costume; they also compete against each other in an archery contest.
Montalcino is known throughout Italyfor its excellent red wine, Brunello, a very high-quaiity vintage from a restricted wine-growing area.
Orient Yourself: Montaicino sits not far from the Via Cassia between Siena and San Quirico d'Orcia.
Don't Miss: Montaicino's 14C fortress (Rocca).
Also See: Abbazia di MONTE OLIVETO MAGGIORE, MURLO, PIENZA, SAN QUIRICO D'ORCIA, Abbazia di SANT'ANTIMO.
ROCCA DI MONTALCINO
This fine example of a 14C fortress has been remarkably well preserved despite the fact that the development of artillery in the following century made this type of defensive system vulnerabie to attack. The high walls, complete with a parapet walk and machicolations, form a huge pentagon in which the population could seek refuge. The angles of the structure are marked by five polygonal towers, one of which has been partly destroyed.
in the interior (left of the entrance) are the remains o fa basilica and (far right) the keep (mastio) designed to house officials and noblemen in times of siege; there Is wine-tasting (ground floor) and the standard of the Repubhic of Siena painted by Il Sodoma (second floor). From the parapet walk there is a vast panoramic view over the town and surrounding countryside.